July 13-14, 2019
Application deadline May 31, 2019 CLOSED
Acceptance notification by June 14, 2019
The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center
7600 Fay Avenue, La Jolla, California
The San Diego International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs is pleased to introduce the Festival, a unique opportunity for amateur pianists to perform on a beautiful, 9-foot Steinway concert grand piano in the new Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center, also known as The Conrad. The Festival is not judged, providing the opportunity to perform without the stress of a competition and is open and free to family, friends and the public.
The Conrad, located in the village of La Jolla, will open in spring 2019 and the centerpiece of this purpose-built performance arts center is the stunning, state-of-the-art Baker-Baum Concert Hall. With a seating capacity of 513, it is an intimate performance space with superb acoustics ideally suited for chamber music and classical recitals.
1. Applicant must be at least 25 years of age by July 13, 2019.
2. Applicants must be amateur pianists, defined herein as those who do not make their living primarily through piano performance.
AmateurPianists reserves the right to accept or decline an application.
1. Festival applicants are free to choose their music, which could be a single piece or a number of shorter pieces.
2. Total time allocated to each Festival participant is 13 minutes maximum and will need to be strictly adhered to.
3. Applicant may elect to play from memory or with music.
Saturday, July 13, 2019 – 9:00 AM to 12 noon
Sunday, July 14, 2019 – 9:00 AM to 12 noon
1. The $75 Festival fee also includes entry to the Competition Finals and the Celebration Reception immediately following.
2. All applications for the Festival must be received by May 31, 2019 Midnight PDT.
3. In the event that there are more than 24 Festival applicants which is our capacity limit, AmateurPianists will select 24 names randomly and all applicants will be notified by June 14, 2019.
4. We will refund the application fee to those Festival applicants who are not selected. The fee is non-refundable for selected Festival participants after June 21.
5. AmateurPianists will randomly assign a performance date (Saturday or Sunday) and time (between 9:00 AM and 12 noon) to each Festival participant.
6. Festival participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodations
To contact the Festival Coordinator for questions or help, click here: