2019 Competition Application
July 12-14, 2019
Application deadline April 17, 2019
Acceptance notification by May 15, 2019
The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center
7600 Fay Avenue, La Jolla, California
CHALLENGE YOURSELF – MAKE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC – MAKE NEW FRIENDS
The San Diego International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs is an opportunity for amateur pianists to perform on a beautiful, 9-foot Steinway concert grand piano in the newly constructed Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center, also known as The Conrad. The Competition is open to all amateurs and is intended to offer a supportive environment that promotes continued excellence in piano performance. The Conrad, located in the village area of La Jolla, will open in spring 2019 and the centerpiece of this performance arts center is the stunning, state-of-the-art Baker-Baum Concert Hall. With a seating capacity of 500, it is an impressive performance space with superb acoustics ideally suited for chamber music and classical recitals.
1. Applicant must be at least 25 years of age by July 12, 2019.
2. Applicants must be amateur pianists, defined herein as those who do not make their living primarily through piano performance.
3. Applicants must not previously have entered a professional piano competition in the past ten years.
4. Prior 1st prize winners of this Competition are not eligible.
AmateurPianists reserves the right to accept or decline an application.
1st prize – $2000
2nd prize – $1000
3rd prize – $500
Certificate awards will be given for best baroque, classical, romantic, modern/contemporary pieces as well as a “Spirit of the Competition” award.
1. Applicants are free to choose their music for each round provided that the pieces must be published works.
2. The maximum length for each round must be strictly adhered to, see Program below.
3. Applicants are not required to memorize their music; page turners are allowed but must be arranged for by the pianist.
4. Music selections may not be repeated in subsequent rounds.
Day 1 – Preliminary Round, 10 minutes maximum
Day 2 – Semi Final Round, 15 minutes maximum
Day 3 – Final Round, 25 minutes maximum
July 11 (Thursday) Allocated practice time on competition piano, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Welcome Reception, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
July 12 (Friday) Preliminary Round, 9:00 to 5:00 pm
Semi Finalists announced
July 13 (Saturday) Semi Final Round, 1:00 pm to 5 :00 pm
July 14 (Sunday) Final Round, 1:00 to 5:00 pm
Awards and Celebration Reception, 6:00 to 8 pm
A panel of distinguished international jurors of music will be adjudicating.
1. Application deadline is April 17, 2019 midnight PDT and applicants will be notified of acceptance by May 15, 2019. 30 applicants will be accepted into the competition. If there are 30 or less applicants, all will be accepted. If there are more than 30, there will be a selection process and 30 will be selected based on the decision by the Selection Panel.
2. An application fee of $180 is required. The competition application fee also includes Welcome Reception, Final Round, Awards and Celebration Reception and all Festival performances.
3. In the event that an applicant is NOT selected for the competition, 75% of the application fee will be refunded.
4. Applicants not selected for the competition may elect to be considered for the Festival by checking the appropriate box in the application form below. (Please see separate Festival application for more information.) If the applicant is selected by random drawing for the Festival, the applicant may remit the fee for the Festival after announcement of Festival participants.
5. Applicants may be asked to provide either a paper copy or digital copy of their music for the jury.
6. Applicants are responsible for their own travel and accommodations.
7. This application form authorizes AmateurPianists to take photo/videos during the event to be used for non-commercial purposes in promoting the mission of the nonprofit organization.
PLEASE LOGIN: (Please Register Here if you don’t yet have a password)
To contact the Competition Coordinator for questions or help, click here: